MENU

Wednesday 22 September 2021

Finding Old Passions

What did you want to be when you grew up? 

 

I can remember wanting to be a thousand different things. A teacher. A scientist. A model. A singer. An actress.

 

As I got older, I got more specific. I wanted to be an early childhood teacher. I wanted to go overseas and work in England as a Nanny.

 

However, one thing I never really considered was being a writer. Not because I didn’t want to be one but because I had so many other potential career ideas that writing was just a way for me to relax. I considered briefly becoming an author when I was reading The Outsiders and heard that it was written by a sixteen-year-old, but that idea quickly vanished when I learnt that I could be a teacher for children eight years and under.

 

I didn’t stop writing though.

 

My teen years were spent in my bedroom like a lot of other teenagers. I’d listen to music, I’d dance, I’d read but I’d also write.

 

I’d write Harry Potter fanfiction.

 

Thirteen-year-old me delighted in writing my own version of the Order of the Phoenix like so many other Harry Potter fans. We poured all our theories into these stories as we waited to see which ones would come true. My favourite was written on the official Harry Potter website forums where Harry was the heir of Godric Gryffindor and because of that he was given these extra powers. His parents were able to come back to life for the year to help him master them and my early teen self, waiting for the updates was almost as bad as waiting for the book.

 

I spent a lot of my free time writing fanfiction. Not only for Harry Potter but for a lot of fandoms that I had. Fanfiction.net was one of the first big sites I discovered that hosted a range of fandoms and it was so much fun to just write, get feedback on my writing and just enjoy myself.

 

I ended up switching to AO3 when I hit my twenties and I love that site because you’re actually able to download the PDF of completed stories and read them as if they’re an ebook.

 

There is also such amazing writers there that I wonder if they are ever going to write their own original story.

 

For me, I dabbled in the idea of writing something original once my love for writing fanfiction dried up, but I could never fully flesh out any ideas.

 

 

After fanfiction, blog writing was something that I always loved to do. I had my first blog at 14 and used it as a kind of diary. I was new to the internet and was still really learning what I should and shouldn’t do. Seriously, remind me to tell the story of my UK admirer I talked to at 14.

 

I would always forget to update them and when I did get onto a roll, I would run out of things to write about, and then give up.

 

Until I started Le Giggler.

 

People who have been following me on Instagram will remember that originally my name was Le Giggler and I created a blog and an Instagram to share activities, toy reviews and resources with parents and other nannies. I was a month in when I found out I was pregnant with AJ and pure exhaustion slowed me down, until after AJ was born.

 

I then picked it up as a way to engage with others during the lockdowns due to COVID. Then AJ’s sleep started to get bad and all of a sudden, I didn’t have the energy anymore. Especially as I was also writing a True Crime blog as well.

 

 

Long before I started Le Giggler, I started The Bulletin Board. There I wrote blog posts on true crime, trying my hardest to focus on the victims and not the killers. It got a fair amount of traction and I loved writing for it.

 

But like with Le Giggler, exhaustion hit me and I wasn’t able to do much more. So, I made the decision to stop writing for both and just focus on the things that I could focus on.

 

 

And for a while I stopped writing. I focused on things that I found to be a lot of fun, I focused on my daughter, I just did things that didn’t have me tapping away on my laptop keyboard.

 

Then sometime last year, as I started to think about going back to work and building up Elleny Studios, I started to think that I wanted to start blogging again. I had so much fun writing both Le Giggler and The Bulletin Board, but there was no way that I would be able to write for two blogs.

 

 

I could however write for one blog and incorporate a number of topics.

 

 

My name changed from Le Giggler to Murtherhood to encompass that change and I started working on what I wanted to include in this new blog.

 

Motherhood and everything I was already sharing on my Instagram was a no-brainer. I would be able to expand on so much that I already talked about in my stories and be able to link back to resources properly.

 

I also wanted to include non-mother stuff. I wanted to talk about my relationship with T and some of the things that we have gone through. I wanted to talk about other interests that I had. I wanted to talk about True Crime and continue to share the stories that I had been sharing on The Bulletin Board.

 

 

So that’s what I’ve been working on.

 

I’ve been going through my old True Crime stories, making sure that they’re all up to date so I’m not missing any important information.

 

I’ve been thinking about topics that I want to talk about.

 

Its inspired me to start writing in other aspects as well and I’m finally taking the plunge and writing my own original stories.

 

Nothing too big right now, but I’m having a lot of fun with it.

 

And that’s the main thing that I want to do now that I’ve started writing again. I want to have fun doing it because without the fun then there is no point.

 

 

Now you know the back story behind Murtherhood and I hope to see you around as it continues to grow.

No comments :

Post a Comment